NIPS SISO 2008: "Structured Input - Structured Output" Workshop at NIPS 2008
TIME AND VENUE
1-Day Workshop in Whistler, BC on December 12, 2008
Room: Hilton, Sutcliffe B
Structured data emerges rapidly in a large number of disciplines: bioinformatics, systems biology, social network analysis, natural language processing and the Internet generate large collections of strings, graphs, trees, and time series. Designing and analysing algorithms for dealing with these large collections of structured data has turned into a major focus of machine learning over recent years, both in the input and output domain of machine learning algorithms, and is starting to enable exciting new applications of machine learning.
The goal of this workshop is to bring together experts on learning with structured input and structured output domains and its applications, in order to exchange the latest developments in these growing fields. The workshop will include one session on learning with structured inputs, featuring a keynote by Prof. Eric Xing from Carnegie Mellon University. A second session will focus on learning with structured outputs, with a keynote by Dr. Yasemin Altun from the MPI for Biological Cybernetics. A third session will present novel applications of structured input-structured output learning to real-world problems.
CALL FOR PAPERS
We invite submissions of papers of up to 4 pages by October 24 via the CMT submission site (https://cmt.research.microsoft.com/SISO2008/) in the latex format from http://icml2008.cs.helsinki.fi/icml2008stylefiles-Latex.zip. Submissions may show the authors' names (not double-blind).
Possible topics include theory and/or applications of learning in structured input and/or output domains, from fields such as (the list is not exclusive):
- Kernel Methods
- Graphical Models
- Data Mining
We will inform authors of acceptance of their manuscripts by November 10. At least one of the authors of accepted papers shall be present at the workshop to present their work.
- Deadline for Paper Submissions: Friday, October 24, 2008
- Notification of Acceptance: Monday, November 10, 2008
- Workshop: Friday, December 12, 2008
- Karsten Borgwardt, MPI Developmental Biology and MPI Biological Cybernetics, Tuebingen
- Koji Tsuda, MPI Biological Cybernetics Tuebingen
- S V N Vishwanathan, Purdue University
- Xifeng Yan, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
- Hong Cheng, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Thomas Gärtner, Fraunhofer St. Augustin
- Arthur Gretton, MPI for Biological Cybernetics
- Jiawei Han, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Matthias Hein, Universität des Saarlandes
- Jake Hofman, Yahoo Research
- Thorsten Joachims, Cornell University
- Hisashi Kashima, IBM Research Tokyo
- Risi Kondor, UCL Gatsby Unit
- Quoc V. Le, Stanford University
- Yan Liu, ICM T.J. Watson Research Center
- Bernhard Schölkopf, MPI for Biological Cybernetics
- Oliver Stegle, University of Cambridge